Fall Food Favorites That Are Good for Your Teeth
At Ocean Dental Center, your dentist near you in Huntington Beach, CA, we know all about foods that are bad for our teeth or out and out ruinous to good oral health, but what about foods that are good for our pearly whites? Is there really such a thing, and do they taste good? There are more great-tasting tooth and mouth-friendly foods than you’d think, and a lot of them are fall favorites.
- Apples. It’s the crunch of apples that tells you they’re teeth friendly. They’re high in fiber, and although they also pack a lot of sugar, the meaty fibrous texture of apples triggers saliva production. Saliva has natural bacteria-killing properties that impede the buildup of plaque. The fiber that brings the crunch acts as a natural tooth scrubber, powering away plaque.
- Pumpkin. Pumpkin seems to be the patron food of fall. Pumpkin is high in nutrients that support good oral health. Pumpkins contain magnesium, which helps build enamel. It also packs in a lot of zinc. Zinc is necessary for good dental health and strong bones. Zinc is required for healthy gums.
- Nuts. Pumpkin seeds, almonds, and Brazil nuts contain a lot of calcium and phosphorus, which is ideal for promoting healthy enamel and gums. Almonds are very high in calcium, while pumpkin seeds and Brazil nuts are loaded with phosphorus. Together, calcium and pumpkin seeds boost health enamel regeneration.
- Cranberries. Cranberries contain complex polyphenols that shield teeth from bacteria and prevent plaque formation. The polyphenols found in cranberries tend to inhibit bacterial growth while giving a lift to healthy bacteria.
- Cheese and Yogurt. Cheeses and yogurt are high in calcium, which is always a good nutrient for teeth and gums. They can also lower the natural pH level in the mouth, which neutralizes some of the acids that bacteria love to produce.
At Ocean Dental Center, your dentist in Huntington Beach, CA 92649, we care about the health of your teeth and gums year-round. We provide comprehensive dental care. Visit us at 15052 Springdale Suite E Huntington Beach, CA 92649. Call us and book your appointment today!